The Sachse Community Emergency Response Team (Sachse CERT) was formed in 2006 as a volunteer based group by the City of Sachse. We officially established our 501(c)(3) status in 2016 under the Sachse Citizen Corps Council.
The mission of the Sachse CERT program is to harness the power of every individual through education, training, and volunteer service to make communities safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond to the threats of terrorism, crime, public health issues, and disasters of all kinds.
“The Sachse CERT... Members of the Community Serving the Community”
The Sachse CERT has been developed because of the need for a well-trained civilian emergency work force. Sachse CERT will assist local government by responding during disaster situations where the number and scope of incidents may have overwhelmed conventional emergency services. The ability of the community to effectively recover from the devastating effects of a terrorist act or disaster requires the active participation, planning, and cooperation of all levels of the population. The fundamental responsibility for preparedness still lies with every individual.
The Sachse CERT will:
- Actively recruit volunteers to fill key positions
- Create effective communication programs
- Provide training related to the Mission Statement
- Provide opportunities for Law Enforcement, Fire and Emergency Medical Services employees to interact with the citizens they serve
- Create databases of qualified volunteers that can assist in a disaster
- Allow direct input to elected/appointed officials
- Develop a public education program in support of the Mission Statement
- Allow individual volunteers to become subject matter experts and conduct training with the assistance of staff members
The Sachse CERT will:
- Assist with community recovery in times of disaster
- Promote citizen self-sufficiency following a major incident
- Streamline communications with professional emergency personnel in times of disaster
- Render and/or summon assistance for the victims of a disaster
- Facilitate damage assessment of buildings/homes
- Encourage and assist with citizen and business disaster preparedness